As of right now, I’ve officially been engaged for 11 months and 3 days (but hey who’s counting?). J and I have been together for pretty much ever. What started as an infatuation as high school sophomores turned into finding not only one of my very best friends in the whole world, but growing to love someone more than I thought possible. We thought we were “in love” in highschool…and I’m not saying that what we felt back than wasn’t very real and very much love…but in the past 6 years since leaving high school, we have learned what it means to grow in each other, to struggle together, to accomplish things together, and to put each other first.
Compromise isn’t easy, especially when it is about life’s BIG issues. And I firmly believe there are certain things people should never compromise on (and if they do, I believe they will end up regretting it…or live with “what if…?” for the rest of their lives), but luckily when it comes down to the heart of things, we have the same goals and dreams for ourselves, for each other, and for us. I’ve had to come to terms with the fact that the nicest TV in the house will live in the “man cave” basement during football season and that I will probably have 2 TV’s next to each other (one for watching sports, one for playing video games of course) in my living room. He will have to live with the fact that I never set less than 3 alarms every morning (I can’t just jump out of bed!), and that I watch way too much Real Housewives. But we are willing to suck it up and deal with it…because at the end of the day, having an awesome soon to be spouse is pretty freaking awesome in my book…so here are just some of my many reasons why I think having a fiance is awesome. And oh, by “you” clearly I mean “I” and by someone, clearly I mean Jared…
- You never have to get gas after dark. This is one of those things that scares the heck out of me. Lucky for me, if I’m ever driving home and realize I need gas that night, there is awesome this guy more than willing to either go with me or just go get it himself.
- Long, monotonous car rides are much more fun with you have another person to talk and joke with.
- Grocery shopping is always way less blah…
- When you’ve had a rough week, and you really don’t feeling like doing much but coming home and watching a movie, there is someone more than happy to make the trip to Red Box
- Even though he’d much rather have a milkshake from just about anywhere, he gets your serious love affair with frozen yogurt and will go to the self serve yogurt place over the Dairy Queen or ice cream place
- You always have a text that says, “Good morning, Beautiful” before 10AM
- Even though he thinks you’re an on overly paranoid crazy person, he will get up and double check the locks around the house
- Even though he could care less about any of it, he will sit and sort through registry gifts…
- He can make a mean wedding spread sheet
- He sees you becoming a bit stressed about all the things left to sort out for the wedding, and offers to take care of the seating chart
- He’s seen you at your absolute worst, and still thinks your the best thing on this earth (for reasons you will probably never understand). When you are in the middle of a bit of a break down, and ripping your appearance to shreds, he very firmly, but sweetly says things like, “Look, no one tells my girl she’s not beautiful, including you!”… and even when you don’t agree, you know he means all the wonderful things he says about you, 150%…
- He is your rock and your soft place to land, all at the same time.
- He lets you pick out his clothes.
- No matter how much he totally doesn’t get your love affair with distance running or Crossfit, he will gladly (and expertly) spectate any event you participate in
- He plays on swings with you.
I love you JJ…you’re my favorite fiancé I ever had